Friday, October 26, 2018

Red Pickled Onions


This August my baby boy turned one year old and is now a running, climbing, squealing toddler. For his first birthday we had a Polynesian themed party (his favorite movie is Moana) and because I was making lunch for a lot of friends and family I made Polynesian Pork Tacos with pineapple salsa, cabbage slaw, pickled onions, and avocado. This was the first time I made pickled onions and I was blown away by both how easy and what a delicious addition they were. Since then I’ve pretty much kept them as a condiment in my refrigerator and have put them on all kinds of things. 

My favorite ways to use them so far are on tacos and burgers, and I think they’d be great on sandwiches, salads, nachos, and in burritos. 



Red Pickled Onions

Ingredients

1 medium red onion, very thinly sliced
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoon honey (you can also use cane sugar)
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, optional


Instructions

Slice the onion very thin and place into a 1 pint mason jar. 

Combine all other ingredients into a saucepan and heat while stirring to completely dissolve. Bring to a simmer and then pour hot liquid into the mason jar over onions, making sure all the onions are completely submerged.

Let cool, then refrigerate overnight before serving. Will keep in the refrigerator for several weeks. 


1 comments:

Felicity said...

These sound so tasty, Bethany!!

Post a Comment