Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Cranberry Sauce with Orange and Star Anise



No matter how much food is served on Thanksgiving I usually find myself with only four essentials on my plate (at least the first time around): Turkey, dressing, sweet potato casserole, and cranberry sauce. I couldn’t possibly enjoy my turkey without the additional tang of cranberries! I have to admit it felt risky, changing up a recipe for something this classic and essential, but I am so completely thrilled with the result that I might never make the old recipe again! The warm bite of allspice and star anise and the piquant kick of orange zest are a delicious compliment to the familiarly sweet and tangy cranberries. 

I can’t wait to try this on my turkey tomorrow, and if you’re looking for a delicious twist on a traditional Thanksgiving staple here’s a great recipe! 


CRANBERRY SAUCE WITH ORANGE AND STAR ANISE

4 whole allspice berries
2 whole star anise 
¾ c. sugar
¼ c. orange juice
12 oz. fresh cranberries
Zest strips from 1/2 orange

Gather allspice and star anise in a 4-inch square of cheesecloth and tie into a sachet. Combine sugar, orange juice, and 1/4 cup water in a saucepan. Add sachet and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar melts and liquid begins to bubble, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let steep for 10 minutes.Return pot to stove over medium-high heat and add cranberries and zest. Cook until cranberries just begin to pop, about 6 minutes. Discard sachet. Allow to cool, then refrigerate for up to three days before serving.





0 comments:

Post a Comment